Saturday, July 28, 2007

Sania Mirza Ousts Schnyder To Reach Stanford Semi-Finals

Unseeded Sania Mirza punched her semi-final ticket at this US Open tuneup Friday with a straight-set victory over fourth-seeded Patty Schnyder.

Mirza downed her Swiss opponent 7-6 (7/2), 6-1 for her second straight upset this week. She bounced sixth-seeded Tatiana Golovin of France in the second round. Mirza’s victory over world number 19 Golovin was her first over a top-20 player since she was sidelined by a knee injury in March. Now she is aiming to add to her one WTA Tour title, which she won at Hyderabad in 2005. Top-seeded Russian Anna Chakvetadze booked her semi-final place, rallying the defeat seventh-seeded Katarina Srebotnik of Slovenia 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.

Chakvetadze has now won seven consecutive hardcourt matches and is in position to capture her second singles title in as many weeks. “The first set I was really up and down,” said Chakvetadze, who won in Cincinnati last week. “I felt like if I could hold my serve I could turn it around. I started playing more aggressively. “Katarina was a little more aggressive than me in the first set. She made me run all over the court. In the second set I started serving well and returning better. “I still think my game is up and down,” she added.

No comments: